zondag 30 september 2007

and we thought L&W had poor organisation skills…

the first week has passed, and yes it’s been a couple of days so I have to put you up to speed again! it’s still really bloody amazing and fun around here in Aber! the weather‘s actually been really nice and warm the last couple of days. apparently our prayers were answered and Belgium enjoyed the beautiful rain, but I fear that this won’t last much longer though, it’s Wales! the very bright side is the kind of sunsets we are witnessing, breathtaking! I didn’t take a picture yet, but soon you’ll know what I mean. and jealousy will kick in again dear family and friends, you can’t can’t fall in love with aber at that time of day.

I’m still just loving my flatmates, the atmosphere in the flat is amazing and the cooking is so delicious (I think the only boy in the flat is actually the best cook, congrats Daniel! your wok style is fabulous! but we girls are pretty good ourselves, of course). it’s only the 4 of us, but I actually don’t mind at all. we eat together, cook together, go out together and are addicted to Coupling all together (I admit, I introduced them and now they can’t resist it anymore!). we’ve had some really good nights so far, I actually had fun all the way.

the plan was to explore the pub life and then decide where the best atmosphere is at. so far we’ve been to Varsity, not really much special but nice place to go hang out in the afternoon and have some coffee (‘cause no Inne, they don’t have Starbucks here! that’s how ‘in the middle of nowhere’ Aber is!). then there’s the Academy, situated in an old church, quite popular but also a pub that closes quite early, pure waist of building ‘cause in Belgium a place like that would be packed if you would just place a decent DJ at the pulpit (preekstoel)! a place that we enjoy if it’s not to crowded and to filled with drunk British guys throwing up in the bar, yes unfortunately we experienced this, is Downey’s. Peer Pressure is the only club here that stays open all night, but of course there’s a price to pay (5 quid!) and music can go totally wrong. the Lacross team meets up at Scholars but that’s the only reason why you should go there… smelled like piss and the beer is crap! Union Bar is on campus, so we only go there during the day to rest in the comfy couches. and then … our favourite place at the moment… The Bay / Y Bae! a pub with different rooms, a black room with every night a DJ, a basement that’s open during the weekend where there’s DJ as well and the best news: open till late! this is apparently a very popular spot and is packed practically every evening. we went there on Wednesday, and we met some of our local friends, that we met on Sunday, so that meant we were at the right spot at the right time, score! and yesterday Emilie and I went there again and we met some other people and ran into other people that we met on Sunday as well! so partying isn’t bad so far!

but of course, some of you will probably frown a bit by now… or at least you should. because well, I’m actually here to study! but no worries, that’s gonna turn out fine, eventually… my uni mates in Belgium probably don’t think it’s possible, but administration here is even more crap than back home! apparently I’m not registered for my modules (courses) yet, so I already missed 2 screenings. my classes are: film and cultural identity, classical Hollywood cinema and American popular television – I know, how cool is that? those are like hobbies… so the screenings are just basically moments where students watch movies in a classroom. I missed ‘Millions of us’ and ‘Casablanca’. the good news is that the professors don’t really seem to mind since they know very well that the organisation of classes is a very difficult thing here at Aber Uni. I can catch up easily though. last Thursday Emilie and I had our first class, film and cultural identity. it was just a small introduction, but I thought it was really interesting, so I have high hopes for the next couple of months. examination is a bit different as well, essays replace our ‘normal’ exams. I have no idea how that’s gonna work out, but I’ll keep you posted.


next to those classes I’m also taking 2 dance courses, just for fun of course. Jive and ChaChaCha are taught in one class, those who know me know I always wanted to dance stuff like that so I’m so excited. and the other is Contemporary Dance, which will be very interesting as well if you ask me.

and then, the best news so far this week: again, those who know me know that I’m kind of into music, and that I loooove going to concerts. well, my closest friends already had to hear me complain and nag about the many wonderful concerts that are going to take place in Belgium, Brussels even, when I am … in Aberystwyth of course. I must have done something bad to offend or mess up my karma big time or something. one of those artists is the wonderful, amazing and fabulous Jill Scott. but, I found a solution: 2nd of December I’m going to London to one of her concerts there, and hopefully Noukie will join me there. probably you don’t really want to know this or think this is relevant, but I don’t care, I’m so happy I can go to a concert of her, again! yesssss! (it still doesn’t make up for missing Amy Winehouse, Baloji and Kanye West, but let’s not remind me!)

well, this was it. check out the pictures as well, taken on Friday. I’ll get back to you soon!

those who respond: cheers guys!

kisses! camille

ps: ow yeah, of course most British can’t even come close to the appropriate pronunciation of camille, so I’m Camil… but if I catch one of you saying that, know what’s coming next!

2 opmerkingen:

Noukie zei

camilleeee,

Ik weet het, nu pas een berichtje op uw blog. Sorry daarvoor! Ik wil u feliciteren met uw coole blog (jaja, ik heb uw teksten al elke keer gelezen :)!) en uw engels (ik wist dat het goed was, maar ZO goed, AMAI!). Hele dikke kussen en amuseer u daar te pletter. We keep in touch!

Anoniem zei

eeeej so bad ist toch yet not on de vub, zo ver as organisation is betreft!
it is fine to read your belivenissen there in absurywhtyrhsqberyswtwyth, it looks er very tof out! Enjoy er still much from, and keep writen!